Whether played in a land-based casino or online, blackjack is the most popular casino game outside of slots. Of all the table games available in online casinos, more gamblers gravitate towards blackjack online than roulette, baccarat or craps. There are of course many reasons for this. One is that the game is iconic and there have been many films and books written about the game. Another reason is that the game is very easy to learn to play. Most newcomers to the game of online blackjack only need a few minutes to learn the ropes. Within a very short space of time they are able to play virtually any version of blackjack online. Blackjack online is also fun and there are great strategies that one can employ in the game. There are also a number of decisions that can be made during the course of a round and no two online blackjack rounds are the same.
Rules of online blackjack
Online blackjack is an easy game to learn to play and the rules are easy to follow. Blackjack online casinos offer quite a few different versions of the game. However, the basic rules of blackjack will apply in virtually all versions of the game. The core idea in blackjack online is very simple. All players need to get a score of 21 in order to win. In online blackjack, players do not compete against each as they do in poker. Rather, every player competes against the house individually. This means that you can have more than one winner in a round of blackjack online.
The game starts with the dealer dealing two cards to each player around the table. Both of these cards are dealt face up. This means that everyone can see the value of each players hand right away. The dealer also deals two cards to their own position. The dealer’s hand is a little different in so far as one card will also be face up but the other will be face down. This makes the game very intriguing and challenging.
Each player must then make a few decisions based on the value of their hand and what they can see from the dealer’s hand. There is something known as basic blackjack online strategy which addresses the decision-making process for each possible hand combination. Each player also has a series of options built into the game which includes the following:
- Hit: This option allows the player to request additional cards if their initial two-card hand is weak
- Stand: This option allows the player to keep their existing two-card hand if the value is strong
- Split: This option allows the player to separate two cards of the same value and create two new hands. Each hand can receive new cards and potentially doubles the player’s chances of winning
- Double down: This option allows the player to double their initial bet in the case of a strong hand. The player will request a double down by adding more chips to their bet. The player also receives an additional card
- Insurance: This option is also known as a side bet. The player has this option if the dealer’s show card is an ace. In 21, a dealer with online blackjack wins immediately, even if the player also has online blackjack
Tips to win at online blackjack
Although learning to play blackjack is easy to learn and to understand, knowing a few good blackjack tips may help you to win more often.
- Find free blackjack online games at online casinos. Online blackjack is a game where practice really pays off. The game is also great for trying different strategies to win. Finding free online blackjack games as well as blackjack bonuses will allow you to try different variations without risking any of your own money. It is also helpful to practice the game and experiment with different decisions on each hand.
- Learn basic blackjack strategy. The basic blackjack strategy is a chart that all serious blackjack players learn. The chart is based on various hand combinations and decisions that can be made based on the dealer’s show card. The strategy is a useful guide to knowing what to do with each possible hand against the dealer’s show card.
- Try different bet strategies. There are many online blackjack bet strategies available. Some of these can be quite useful in learning how to control your bets and your playing budget.
Top online versions of online blackjack
One of the advantages of playing online blackjack is that there are quite a few blackjack variations of the game. This helps to also keep the game interesting. Top blackjack variations include:
- Online blackjack Switch
- Vegas Strip Online blackjack
- Atlantic City Online blackjack
- Spanish Online blackjack
- Double Exposure Online blackjack
- Progressive Online blackjack
Top online blackjack software brands
The majority of top casino software brands produce versions of online blackjack for online casinos. If you are just starting out with blackjack online, it is a good idea to start with top brands such as Microgaming and Playtech. Both of these brands have created great online blackjack games. These games are also dependable and show a solid track record.
History of blackjack
Like all of the main casino table games, blackjack was created in Europe. Most blackjack experts believe that the game either started in Spain or in France. There were at least two versions of the game being played at more or less the same time in both countries. In Spain, a popular game at the time was called “Ventuina”. A popular card game played in France around the same time was called “Vingt-et-Un”, both mean “21”. Another card game with similar rules called “Pontoon” was also being played in England during the same period
As you may have guessed by now, the object of both the modern game of blackjack online and its forerunners was to obtain a score of 21 with the cards dealt. The actual name of blackjack only appeared when the game was brought over to America by French sailors and other immigrants. Blackjack experts believe the term was coined in New Orleans. At the time, riverboat blackjack casinos were popular, as were other forms of gambling. Promoters of the game established a special jackpot prize for any player who could achieve 21 using an ace of spades and a jack of clubs or spades. The term for this sort of win became known as a ‘blackjack win’. After a while, the term was used to describe or refer to the card game in general.